[C320-list] Deka Batteries

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Sep 9 08:26:40 PDT 2015

That's good advice.  AGMs won't typically be damaged by standard flooded battery settings.  The float voltage for flooded batteries is just .2v higher (13.4v) than for AGM (13.2v) which is not a big deal for float, especially considering that loads like fridge and such negate the difference.  Charge voltage for AGMs can be a bit higher (14.4v) and they will accept a lot more charge current when available. It would matter a lot if you switched to GEL batteries without a GEL setting on your charger.  I ran my AGMs for the last 8 years on a Charles charger without a specific AGM setting and Lifeline confirmed that it wouldn't be an issue.

One thing I like about AGMs is that there is no refilling, drips, leaks or acid fumes to worry about which keeps the battery compartment very clean.  They can also be mounted in any orientation but never having to deal with recharging them during winter storage is convenient for those of us who live where we call summer "2 months of bad ice skating".

-Jeff Hare
Woodbine II #809