[C320-list] need winch help, ASAP

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Sep 14 05:39:13 PDT 2015

Dave,

As mentioned, YouTube vids can be your best friend here.  Lewmar shows you everything here.

As for the hardened grease, (don't tell my wife) but I just use a Tupperware dish with WD-40 and a small stiff brush or old toothbrush to clean everything.  Then grease everything Lewmar says to and reassemble.  If you soak the parts for an hour or two, it's a lot easier.  I've found that if the pawls aren't worn and the springs are in good shape, I reuse them.  If you have new springs and pawls however, use them and keep the old ones as spares but label them as old.  No sense reusing old parts when you have new ones sitting there. I'm not all that good about regularly servicing the winches but since we don't race, they get gentle use.

-Jeff Hare