[C320-list] need winch help, ASAP

Dave Ouimette drouimette at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 04:56:03 PDT 2015

Thanks, John.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: John Meyers <jcmeyers7 at gmail.com>
To: C320-List <C320-List at catalina320.com>
Sent: Mon, Sep 14, 2015 8:47 am
Subject: Re: [C320-list] need winch help, ASAP

More advice based on a lesson learned the hard way....

Use minimal grease. My
winches were still sluggish until I cleaned them
again and only used a small
amount of grease.  The idea of soaking the
parts, especially the gears, does
make cleaning the old stubborn grease
residue much easier to remove.

I used
a disposable aluminum cake pan for soaking and cleaning.  I saved
the pan for
later cleanings. That way the first mate doesn't get mad at me
for using her
Tupperware.

The YouTube that Lewmar as mentioned by others is great.

John
Meyers
Wind Chime 406

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Jeff Hare
<Catalina at thehares.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> As mentioned, YouTube vids can
be your best friend here.  Lewmar shows you
> everything here.
>
> As for the
hardened grease, (don't tell my wife) but I just use a
> Tupperware dish with
WD-40 and a small stiff brush or old toothbrush to
> clean everything.  Then
grease everything Lewmar says to and reassemble.
> If you soak the parts for an
hour or two, it's a lot easier.  I've found
> that if the pawls aren't worn and
the springs are in good shape, I reuse
> them.  If you have new springs and
pawls however, use them and keep the old
> ones as spares but label them as
old.  No sense reusing old parts when you
> have new ones sitting there. I'm
not all that good about regularly
> servicing the winches but since we don't
race, they get gentle use.

Message-----
On
c320-list at catalina320.com
> Subject: [C320-list] need winch help,
ASAP

> I recently acquired a 1995 C320 and it's time to service the
Lewmar Ocean
> Series winches.  I have two ST #30's and two #44's. Two problems
surfaced:
> 1) I cannot figure out how to pull out the gear spindles. It is
necessary
> to do this in order to remove the rachet gears and get to the
pawls. They
> may have changed in later models but my winch spindles have a
flush top
> with a small dimple and it is impossible to grab the spindle to
remove it.
> It appears later models had a mushroom top which you could remove
with
> fingers or a screw driver. Any ideas how to remove the spindle?  Next,
it
> has been a while since the winches were service and there is some very
hard
> old grease which is making is impossible to remove the main spindle. I
have
> applied some PB blaster in hope of loosening the grease but no luck so
far.
> Any thoughts on the best degreaser to use in this situation?  I feel
like a
> street beggar asking for any change you can throw my way.
>
> See
page 43, figure five for a look at the gear spindles.

http://lewmar.com/assets/img/dataset/Manual-Winch%20Service%20Manual%20B2304%20iss6.pdf

Dave