[C320-list] steering geometry question

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 07:05:51 PDT 2015

I got down to my boat last weekend and made some measurements.

Given that it is a six spoked wheel. I noticed that I got 6 1/2 spokes, i.e. 1 and 1/12 full turns of the wheel from central to full lock.

Each spoke (1/6 turn) equates to approx. 1 inch of cable movement, which equates to approx. 9 degrees of rotation of the rudder, on the rudder quadrant (which is actually not a quadrant bit a full circle) which is approx. 12 inch diameter

So do the math and the max rudder angle would be just under 60 degrees either side of central - (that seems a lot to me!)

More math shows that the throw required to make the full 120 degrees of travel would be 10.2 inches, but only  if you could mount the end of the ram arm on the edge of the quadrant, which you cant unless you use a second separate crank arm clamped to the rudder post

If you did it at 5 inches radius point then only 8.6 inches of travel is required but of course you need more force!

I guess the bigger issue is that the ram cannot be easily mounted to permit full use of all 12 inches of travel?

How does this theory compare to real life experience?

Graeme
#366 Jaskar