[C320-list] Battery Jump Starter

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue Sep 29 10:28:30 PDT 2015

Jim,

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the engine
shut-off "T-handle" on the instrument panel will activate the
decompression mechanism on all cylinders. Therefore you should be able
to lift the T-handle, push the start button, get the engine spinning and
then push the handle back down while continuing to hold the start button
in. This would eliminate the need for a helper to push the start button
while you're manning the decompression levers on the top of the engine.

I've not tried this but I could see how it might work if your battery is
only marginally discharged but just doesn't have the oomph to get past
the first compression stroke. If you've really killed the battery, it
may not work. This could also work if a jump pack is too weak to
overcome that first compression stroke.

Obviously you want to be careful about cranking too long, as all the
warning labels mention, otherwise you could flood your engine with sea
water.

---
Doug Treff
Catalina 320 - 1996 - September Song - #350
http://savvysailor.blogspot.com/
doug at treff.us