[C320-list] Stuffing Box

Tim chillinonahd at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 04:10:26 PDT 2016

Seeking some advice. This season while getting my boat ready for launch I was servicing the stuffing box. I was able to open up the lock not and packing nut but now I can't budge the locking nut. It's possible the lock nut never moved and I just moved the packing nut. It seems like it's cross threaded but that does not seem possible since it never came off. So my questions are; 1) has anyone had this problem and how was it resolved and 2) worse case scenario it is cross threaded, what is the consensus if I have to remove the shaft to replace the stuffing box. I'm thinking stainless steel shaft replacement (since from my research it's better to cut out the shaft than try to reuse it. My boat is a 1999. Also, I am considering then putting in a PSS dripless shaft seal. Is this a do it yourself job or something best left to the pros? Does anyone have a preferred mechanic on Long Island for such a job? Estimate of cost?
Thx!
TimCalypso#603