[C320-list] Replacement of Refer Evaporator

Descher, Chris cdescher at cedtulsa.com
Thu Aug 18 09:56:48 PDT 2016

Look at the Dometic CU-100 system with a VD series vertical evaporator.  This was a direct replacement for the old Adler Barber cold machine that was originally installed in my boat, though I don't know what system you currently have.

This was a very easy job for me to do.  If you're replacing the entire system, removal is  simple, especially since it's just going in the trash.  Just disconnect the wiring from the old unit and tear it all out.  It should just be a few screws on both ends, and it will come out.  You don't have to be careful with anything.

The mistake I first made was trying to put in a new evaporator while keeping the compressor.  This never worked, because we weren't able to evacuate the lines and recharge it.  All I did was waste time and money.

When installing the new system, you need a helper to keep from kinking the line set as you unroll it and feed it back through the conduit above the icebox to the compressor, but with a little patience, you can't go wrong.  I'd be glad to speak to you about it directly if you want.