[C320-list] Dodger Replacement

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 18 19:49:28 PST 2016

Jeff,

Yes, the dodger center window unzips entirely as do the dodger clear side window panels as well.  This just leaves the Sunbrella dodger top in place, kinda like a mini-bimini just for the companionway.  It helps keep the boat and the galley areas cool in full sun.

The dodger frame (and side and rear handholds of course) is still intact and structural.  It is really, really nice for those couple of weeks of very hot summer weather in the PNW when you want to be out of the sun but not out of the breeze.  It would have been awesome to have that dodger set up when we kept our boat berthed in San Diego.  However, we never felt the need for a dodger when we had our boat in San Diego.

So we just store the Makrolon window panels under our aft berth (the same place we store our flexible 125W solar panel (when it is not deployed on top of our real cockpit bimini).

A great system all in all.

We also had Iverson's fabricate matching Captain Navy Sunbrella covers for our Makrolon windows that we deploy when we put the boat away.  These have done a nice job of keeping our window panels clean, clear, and scratch free while our boat sits in her slip.

Our old dodger and cockpit camper canvas enclosure on our previous sailboat had the flexible plastic windows.  It was like a sun room for our boat. Great for when our kids were small.  We also liked them in their ease of use.  However, I didn't like how they fogged, scratched and scuffed up when we rolled them up (especially the center dodger panel) and fastened them with their snap tethers to keep them rolled up.  So we figured with our new dodger, we would go with optically clear acrylic widows that we would have to store flat instead.

It turns out, we have more "out-of -the-way" flat spaces to store these "stiff" acrylic window panels on our C320 than we have places to store bundles of rolled up "soft" vinyl windows.  Who knew!?!  Not us. It was just a pleasant outcome of wanting optically clear dodger windows!

Dave

David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E.
Principal, LEED AP
Director, Structural Group