[C320-list] C320 Fuel Tank Replacement

Rick rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Feb 22 07:15:02 PST 2016

Jack,
Check the 320 discussion list ( key words: fuel tank replacement or fuel tank leak) for lots of information and tips about 320 fuel tank leakage, clean-up approaches, fuel tank purchase details and new tank  installation tips. The best part of our 320 owner association is the wealth of knowledge shared  about 320 issues. The bottom line on 320 aluminum diesel fuel tanks, it is not a matter of "if" a tank will eventually leak, but "when".....my research on aluminum sailboat diesel fuel tanks across several sailboat owner lists beyond our 320 models indicates that the lifespan of the average tank is normally 15-25 years, depending on the amount of water or debris in the tank. Theoretically a clean tank will last a long time, but there are several random variables that impact longevity, especially over a 15-25 year boat life. I replaced my 95' tank last season after I had experienced a failed sender seal and had to clean it up midseason to continue to use the boat. So at the end of the season I decided I would never want to have to clean up a leaking tank again, so I replaced the tank the following spring as one of my maintenance projects and am now in the process of  methodically refurbishing my "vintage" 320 by scheduling other failure prone systems over the next few years. Tank replacement an easier task than I anticipated, thanks to the 320 owner discussion list. I opted to have the new tank constructed with a clean out access port when I replaced it with a similar sized tank (19 gallon).

When replacing the tank, it is also a good time to replace the aging fuel lines leading to the Racor filter, etc. While I was working thru the aft cabin access door I discovered it was time to replace the severely cracking exhaust hose that was moving about and showing wear points against the hull. Just finished replacing all of the cooling hoses over this winter's layup. Next up is replacement of the on-engine fuel lines and have a stack of opening port lights to replace this spring vs. expensive part replacement with several window lenses crazing.
Rick
 1995 C320 hull #277