[C320-list] Genoa Replacement

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 00:48:31 PST 2016

David

It gets a bit windy over here in the UK too and I have been told that the standard size genoa supplied with the 320 is really a ‘light wind’ sail. When it comes to replacement I will be looking at 125% or smaller. I’m not a racer, but we spend so much of the time at sea with a large part of it rolled away and the remainder in a poor shape leading to poor pointing and speed.

I guess part of your choice needs to be based upon whether you possess (and have the skill and crew to fly) some form of chute or spinnaker?

Graeme
#366, Jaskar, England
On 23 Feb 2016, at 08:17, David MacKinnon <david.mackinnon99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is time to look at replacing our old 150% genoa and we are looking at our options. The 150% genoa is to be replaced with a smaller genoa somewhere, we believe, between a 120-135%.
>
> Most of our sailing is a mixture of weekend cruising and weekend racing in wind speeds up to 25Kts (or over if the forecast is incorrect), with an average of 15Kts, and I would like to get a new genoa that gives us good racing performance but also reasonable cruising performance.  Our sailmaker has provided options of high quality dacron or laminate sails and whilst I would like to go to the laminate, the cost is most likely going to be the factor.
>
> I am tending to a 135% dacron, as it seems to be the most common and also the best sail plan for a variety of conditions,  but what is the experience of the members of the association in terms of size for these type of conditions? Would we notice any real difference in going to a 125% dacron sailplan? Also, would a smaller laminate sail be better than, say, a 135% dacron genoa. I realise that the dacron sail most likely has better longevity than the laminate but that is not the main consideration at this point in time.
>
> Thanks for your valued inputs.
>

> David MacKinnon
> Figment #162
> Brisbane, Australia

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!