[C320-list] Engine seacock and no water out the exhaust - 27 hp, 3G Yanmar

Bruce Hunter swampcreek42 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 03:46:24 PDT 2016

Ted,       I agree that it's really weird for a seacock to operate so easily that it changes positions through vibration something is definitely wrong there. Maybe the handle is loose? If you're not pumping water are you sure the valve is actually opening internally?  As far as the water impeller, NO PROBLEM, it only takes a few minutes, easiest way to do this is first watch YouTube video or 2there' and just do it, there's plenty  of them.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 9:26 PM, Jeff Hare<Catalina at thehares.com> wrote:   Ted,

Does the seacock handle turn so easily that it could possibly close on its
own?  That's really unusual for these valves.  Usually it's the opposite
problem.

Anyway, if you look at the top of the seacock, you'll see 4 stainless steel
Philips head machine screws.  You can try snugging these up a little.  Not
Sampson strength tightening, just good and snug.  Tightening/loosening
slightly changes the pressure on the ball in the valve and may solve the
problem.

The white ring on the side of the handle hides a screw that holds the handle
on.  The white ring is actually a plug for the outside of the thru-hull.  It
has a loop on it for tying a string to.  You can safely just pull this white
plug out of the handle, as it is only held in place by friction of little
O-ring.

Do not under any circumstances remove the screw in the handle itself while
the boat is in the water!!!  Doing so, will probably blow the screw and
various washers half way across the boat and you'll be hard pressed to get
them back in with water coming into the boat.  So, don't remove the handle!!
But it is ok to tighten/adjust the screws on the top of the thru-hull body a
little.

If the handle is really loose, I suspect that it isn't sealing that well and
would leak if the hose, raw water filter or impeller cover were removed.

I would see if you can check this before removing the impeller cover.

-Jeff Hare