[C320-list] alternator question

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jul 14 12:35:30 PDT 2016

The Tach wire is only used on non-Yanmar 3gm engines.  Yanmar 3gm's use an inductive pickup at the back of the engine for the tach.

When you turn on/off the ignition switch, you are turning on and off the Field voltage.  That's the alternator's on/off switch.  As far as I know, it's perfectly ok to shut off the ignition switch with the engine running.  It shuts off the alternator.  It does not interrupt the connection to the battery, so no damage there.

I *believe* that you could safely shut off the ignition switch with the engine running, then go down and turn off the battery switch with no ill effects.  But I'd have to double check.

-Jeff