[C320-list] Xantrex TRUEcharge2 40-amp chargers - experiences?

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 17 18:22:39 PDT 2016

Angus,

Yes. I had previously installed a Xantrex Link Pro battery monitor when I installed a sealed G24 starting battery and a Xantrex Echo charger.  It is wired to monitor ALL electricity in and out of the house bank.  Pretty cool device.

The Link Pro battery monitor is a great device that shows energy usage in and out of the batteries.  I have read that the Victron monitor is even better in terms of setup and reliability.

These battery monitors are a cool way to see how much the solar panel puts back in when the sun is out.  Also, a couple of years ago, I changed out all of my interior lighting for LED bulbs and even installed LED strip lighting behind the port and starboard head liner to light the wood paneling along the hull in the salon.  It was really cool to see how much less current the LED light were using compared to the incandescent bulbs.

I love this stuff.  I just put whole house monitor, called a Neurio, in a second home of ours in San Diego.  It shows which appliance is using how much power, estimates my monthly electricity bill, and even shows us how much power input is generated by the solar panels on the roof of that home.  I am going to install the competing home energy monitor called, Sense, in our main Mukilteo home this fall.   All of my tinkering experience on my C320 and previous sailboats over the years lends itself to this same level of tinkering on our homes.  The Link Pro is not as interconnected as these home energy monitoring devices, but for a boat with limited power generation, storage and use, thee are extremely valuable.

Dave

S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107
Mukilteo, Washington

David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E.
Principal, LEED AP, F. SEI
Director, Structural Engineering

Reid Middleton, Inc.
(425) 741-3800 office
(425) 741-5011 direct
(425) 508-7971 mobile

www.reidmiddleton.com

Washington | California | Hawaii | Alaska