[C320-list] Companion way doors vs. boards- looking for options (Planning a winter project)

Rick rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Jul 18 06:54:51 PDT 2016

I agree with Dean that there may some confusion over the older hull  aluminum hatch guides vs newer hull chrome hatch guides.

I ordered my Zarcor doors this year about 2 weeks after the Miami boat show. Zarcor still honored the boat show pricing because the ad had ended within a few days of when I observed the sale was a limited time offer, listed at the very bottom of their emailed special ad.. I explained that I was waiting for the discounted sale pricing, better than the normal discount.  Request Zarcor sale email notifications if you are contemplating doors over the late fall or winter. All doors are custom cut and you may be waiting several weeks for delivery and that may be why the discount is offered to ramp up sales/production schedules that is also to your benefit.

I have an early model 320 and discovered that my companionway is not at all symmetrical and as a consequence my measurements did not match other vintage early Mk1 hulls on file from Zarcor. That is not unusual for some hulls to  vary depending when the hull/liner left the mold (that is why Catalina asks for the older model teak hatch boards to be sent to them before making a new set).

I did have to make a few mods to the Zarcor doors as a result of my companionway variations, but nothing that an orbital sander could not handle which the Zarcor installation DVD alludes to in their directions. I chose to provide measures that ensured a larger, not a smaller measurement so I could make the necessary adjustments rather than run short. For hulls beyond the vintage 320 model where production quirks seem to have been resolved, I would not hesitate to use the Zarcor history of measurements as a starting point for any hulls near your production number. If you consider checking with Zarcor on their history of hull #s, check to learn if your hull varies all that much from the Zarcor history file.  Just a word of caution, if you have worn teak hatch boards be aware that the boards may sit lower in the hatch guides and a tracing of the older work hatch boards may reflect that lower profile; in that case, I would rely upon the Zarcor measurement file for hulls closer to your hull #.  Also, consider having a conversation with Zarcor if you have any questions. Their customer service is very timely & responsive.
Rick
95 320 hull #277