[C320-list] Alternator for Perkins M30

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 4 05:26:41 PDT 2016

Dan, I replaced our alternator several years ago with a heavy duty 120A unit. The biggest headache was that the M30 was built to British standards and the original mount and adjustment arm are not compatible. The easiest thing to do is have it rebuilt. However, if you are more than a weekend cruiser, the best bet is to bite the bullet and replace it with a quality marine rated alternator in the 80-100A range. (I say 80-100 because the M30 has a 3/8" belt and the max recommended output is about 100. I actually limit the output to 80A via the regulator settings.) The Balmar 6 series may be the most used; but, there are others. It's also possible that in the intervening years there are new offerings in the market I'm not aware of.

One thing I learned is that the original Lucas alt is rated at 50A; but, once at operating temp on the engine may only reach about 35A, max. The most I've ever seen our new alt output was about 50A and that was not for long, reason being that I never discharge our batteries below 50% so max o/p at bulk charge doesn't last long.

I have an article about our electrical upgrades that includes the alternator project. If you'd like a copy, e-mail me off line and I'll send it.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay