[C320-list] Various Battery Cable Functions

Dave and Ev kabout at comcast.net
Wed Jun 8 19:52:36 PDT 2016

I have a 1999 model #628. I just installed two brand new SRM-4D, which
were replacing ones that were at least four seasons old. The old ones
were functional but one battery had a bad cell. I have original factory
wiring. There are three negative cables and two positive cables to each
battery. What is the purpose of the each of these cables? I believe one
of the two larger black cables connects the two battery negatives
together and the other black goes to the ground bus, but I don't know
the function of the smallest cables. While I had no problems at all for
the last three seasons other than the bad cell, after the forward
battery cabling was completely connected, I noticed that when I connect
the thinner black cable to the battery post on the aft battery it
appeared that current was flowing (saw an small arc.) The main battery
1-2-both switch was in the full off position. While I had no issues with
the batteries prior, I never saw this when I connected these cables at
the start of the season. What is the smaller cables function and should
there be anything happening when that smaller cable is connected to the
negative battery terminal as it did. I looked a the Catalina manual and
electrical diagram and never found a good detail of the original factory
wiring for the two batteries. I hesitated to leave that thinner negative
cable connected to the negative terminal until I have figured this out.
I am on a mooring with no shore power connected. I charge with the
original alternator on the Yanmar 3GM30F which puts out 13.9 volts at
the batteries while charging. No new battery charging equipment added by
either me or prior owner. All factory original equipment.  Any comments
or thoughts?
Dave Cushman
It TIps #628