[C320-list] Boat US yacht policy

Karl Mielenhausen kmielen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:49:57 PDT 2016

Here's what I found when I last checked (Sept 2014, for hull value of
approx. $62000):

State Farm:
$592 for $1k deductible, NO increase for named storm
US & Canada out 75 nm,
Need a survey.
But they would not insure a boat based in my marina for some reason, even
though it is considered a hurricane hole.

GEICO (Seaworthy)
$345 for $500 deductible BUT goes to 10% for named storm
Chesapeake, Albermarle, Pamlico

Chalk & Gibbs Agency (Foremost Marine Choice Elite Policy, Div of Farmers)
$495 for 1% deductible, going to 3% in named storm
US & Canada out 75 nm, MAX 30 days in Bahamas

NBOA:
$666 for 2% deductible, going to 5% in named storm
US & Canada incl. Bahamas

BoatUS
$479 for 1% deductible, I believe it went to 5% for a named storm
NC Rivers & Sounds only (rider available for Cape Lookout, Chesapeake,
etc.)

I have no firsthand claims experience with any of these companies.
I was using NBOA in 2013-2014 when we went to the Bahamas.
Switched to Foremost in 2014.
Have used the Boat US (Sounds) policy in the past.

Interested in any other experiences members have. Due for renewal in
October.

Virus-free
<#m_-8516749041283383459_DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Karl