[C320-list] Boat Insurance Experience

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Tue Jun 14 13:12:56 PDT 2016

I have my Insurance through the Power Squadrons.  You have to be a member
and if you take some of their classes it really helps with the premiums.  I
have made cost comparisons over the years with other boat insurance
companies and there is no contest.  The Preferred Power Squadrons rates are
much lower and have been for years.  Basically the non-boating based
insurance companies do not have a complete understanding of the risk factors
on boating, sail boats, power boats, etc.  So they charge more because their
actuaries do not have a complete picture.

I had GEICO for a real estate property and it was always problematic dealing
with them because they were not the direct underwriter.  In one case my
insurance lapsed without my knowing because I was not sent a renewal notice,
nor did they know to whom I should address the premium payment.  Really?
After two years of frustration (even though they were cost competitive) I
left and found a better option for the same premium cost.  I had a somewhat
similar experience when I had insured my son's pickup truck.

Jeff

Petite Suite  Hull 718

Jeffrey Kapec

Tanaka Kapec Design Group, Inc