[C320-list] Shifter

JJ Morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 1 09:24:26 PST 2016

Look at where the shifter cable attaches to the shifting lever on the transmission. Mine was corroded there and the shifter cable  eventually broke off because the pin could not rotate, necessitating a shifter cable replacement, not easy or cheap! The linkage at the transmission should be lubricated at least once a year with white grease to facilitate shifting and prevent corrosion. Also at the binnacle end where the shifter cable attaches to the shifting lever should be lubricated once a year. If those two points seem to be in good nick then the shifter cable should be detached from the transmission lever and the shifter lever moved back and forth. the cable should move easily when this is done. If it is stiff to move it probably means a shifter cable replacement due to wear or corrosion. The attachment ends of the throttle cable should be lubricated there as well.cheersJohnM1999#574