[C320-list] Shifter

Rick rsulewski at bex.net
Tue Mar 1 16:53:51 PST 2016

Doug,
Could you please explain exactly where the shift cable broke or snapped and
what you believe was the root cause? Thanks.

For others who suffered cable failures, should one surmise that most of the
throttle or shift cable failures are occurring on saltwater boats? Any
freshwater failures? So far, I have not seen evidence of wear on my throttle
or shift cables and am wondering if after 20 seasons and 1,300 hours if the
cables should be replaced as a preventative measure because a cable failure
is imminent.  Any thoughts?

FYI/DIY Item: Last spring I replaced the pedestal shift lever's 1"white
Delrin liner.  The shift lever became increasingly sloppy over time and
required increased force to move the move lever in and out of gear.  The
worn liner also accumulated grit accelerating liner wear. Initially I feared
that I was having a shift cable problem before I figured out what was
causing the sloppy shifter. As a result of the (liner) bushing wear, the
shift lever's shaft was also occasionally contacting some metal hardware
just inside the pedestal creating a grinding/scrapping feel whenever the
lever was moved. After the replacement liner was installed, the shift lever
was restored to be as firm and work as smoothly as when it was new. A
replacement Delrin liner (bushing) is available from Edson.

Rick Sulewski
My-Ria
95' C320 hull #277