[C320-list] Halyard thickness query

DennyBrowne@Verizon.net dennybrowne at verizon.net
Wed Mar 16 17:52:30 PDT 2016

I replaced most of mine with 5/16" in various high tech double braid lines. Two Genoa halyards are technora core, but vectran is better because it's less brittle. Two Spinnaker halyards are dynema core. The main halyard is 1/4" vectran core replacing the original poly core in the original cover. Same size line and twice the breaking strength, no stretch. Overkill, frankly, but still the original 3/8" size.

No problem on the sheaves, but the Genoa and spinnaker halyards are a little skinny to hold. Fine in the clutches though, and considerably lighter.

When the load increases in a puff, boingy halyards let the head of the sail move down, which moves the maximum draft aft. Low stretch halyards make a difference, as the puffs are converted to lift, rather than increased heeling.

Can you feel the difference? Well, I can't. But the low stretch halyards have lasted a long time. Probably ten years so far, and no end in sight.

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach, CA