[C320-list] Questions about LPG tank refill, and removing the wheel

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed May 4 13:14:57 PDT 2016

Hi,

Allan's correct.  Only the drive motor wiring plug needs to be disconnected.

1. There's a rubber boot on the cable to the autopilot motor that you peel back carefully and that reveals a push/twist/pull type of 2 pin connector to the drive motor. Careful, this is the worst connector ever designed and it's neither very strong nor marine rated. Also, this rubber boot might be difficult to find replacements for. RayMarine/Flir probably has a part number and price though...

 2. Engage the autopilot with the lever before you attempt to remove the wheel is a good practice.  Keeps the motor from sliding around and banging into something when you remove the wheel.

3. Remove the nut from the wheel. If you can't pull the wheel straight off, then it's probably just a little stuck.  Use an inexpensive gear puller to break it free. Edson sells a nice large nut for removing by hand as a part of the rail mount wheel kit.

4. Clean the shaft, and the inside the wheel hub until it's free of any corrosion. There is a keyway slot on the shaft.  I used LocTite to keep the key in the slot, that way I can remove the wheel, hang it on the rail and not worry about losing the key.

5. You can remove the AP cover and clean the gears and belt inside. Check the condition of the gears and the tension clutch. Only once did I have to remove it and clean/adjust it because it was slipping under way.

6. When reinstalling the wheel, note that the large gray PIN attached to the pedestal will need to be aligned with the hole on the gray autopilot ring.  Don't try to force the wheel back on without aligning that pin or you'll likely damage the AP drive unit.

7. Finally, if you do upgrade to the large knurled handwheel nut from Edson, here's a tip.  Take Loctite blue and coat all the threads of either the nut or the threaded part of the shaft. Let it dry.  Then you can spin on the nut and it will be far less likely to loosen up under way.  For me, it's an old habit to test that wheel nut tightness regularly when steering.  They have a habit of loosening up and could fall off and slide out the back of the boat.

Good luck, hopefully this helps some.
-Jeff