[C320-list] Maxwell Capstan/windlass problems

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu May 5 16:19:07 PDT 2016

My Maxwell windlass has stopped working. Fine one day, then nothing the next time I tried to use it.

I hope that I am correct that the only way to access this item is to remove the wood panelling at the bow end of the forepeak cabin and then cut a hole in the thin GRP panel behind it - I hope so because thats what I have done!

I have checked that power is getting to the foot-switch and the foot-switch is operating correctly and that the return circuit to ground is also good.

So this sort of implies the winch motor has burned out or failed in some other way.

I see from the manual that the motor can be replaced without removing the entire windlass assembly, but I am guessing that these motors can no longer be  bought, being so old?

Has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, how did you cope?

Thanks

Graeme

#366, Jaskar, 1996