[C320-list] Spinnaker Tack Hardware

pat reynolds lorasalum at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 16:21:54 PDT 2016

3/4 oz spin weight is pretty standard

    On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:10 AM, Warren Updike <wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:

 Guy, re. tack line. When we had a spinnaker, we used a simple block tied to the roller to turn and lead the tack line to the cockpit (don't remember where secured.)
Also, used a device to attach the tack to the furled jib as recommended in various sources for rigging an asymmetrical. ATN makes such a device designed to slide over the furled jib to keep the tack close-in and move up/down the jib when adjusting the tack line. I made a device, called parrel beads, out of a wire and wood beads to serve the purpose. West Marine has tools for doing the wire work.
The sheets were led aft outside all and turned in blocks attached to the push-pit back to the aft winches. The tension on the sheets is not at all what you'd think, at least in light to moderate airs. I never flew it in strong wind. It all worked well.
Not difficult to get flying; but, lots of good exercise setting and dousing.
90% of summer winds on the Chesapeake are from SE to SW limiting use to North bound sailing.
Good luck,
Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay