[C320-list] Perkins M30 Starter

Welch, Myron D myron-welch at uiowa.edu
Mon May 30 08:26:22 PDT 2016

Warren,

I had a start problem on my 1995, #238 Perkins that took a couple of years to find. Everything I tried worked for a few days or weeks, then the problem returned. I started by purchasing a new set of 4D's, then cleaning the negative ground on the engine, then cleaning the connections at the helm, then changing the starter switch, then changing the starter button. Although each repair worked temporarily, I thought I had it fixed for good after changing the connection on top of the solenoid, but again the problem returned.

I was about to yank out (which looked very difficult) and blame the starter, then tried Nigel Calder's method of shorting across the terminals and learned the starter and solenoid were not the problem.

I finally called in a mechanic. He started at the helm and checked every connection all the way to the starter. The problem was found in a lose connection in the plastic buss bar just aft of the engine.  I never thought to check there. No start problems in the past three years. Good luck.

Myron Welch
Wind Instrument, #238
Iowa City, Iowa
Grace Memorial Harbor