[C320-list] Rebeding Chain Plates - update

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 03:38:55 PDT 2016

If you've following the thread "Butyl Rubber and chain plates" read on.
You may also have noted that I posted the article "Rebeding Chain Plates" on our web site. I recently had an opportunity to observe our marina neighbor rebed chain plates on a newer hull, #647. What I observed surprised me and affects prior recommendations and the procedures offered in the website article.

In a nutshell: on older hulls like our #62, the holes cut for the chain plates cut through the cored deck and are large enough for me to insert my hand. On #647, the holes are through the deck where there is solid fiberglass and too small for my hand. This affects how you might go about filling the space with bedding material, and which material would be easier/better to use. Since I didn't do the work, I can't offer suggestions on how best to go about it.

What my friend did was to push threads of butyl rubber into the spaces between the deck and the chain plate tang, then with chamfered bolt holes, install the deck plate bedded with butyl rubber. This seems to me to be an effective seal for this boat.

Anyone have comments?

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay