[C320-list] Oil seal replacement on Maxwell 500 windlass

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 04:29:50 PST 2016

This refers to the original Maxwell 500 windlass fitted in the mid 1990’s and NOT the VC500 or VW500 which are different models.

My windlass stopped working this year so at the end of the season I removed it and  whilst doing so noticed oil stains on the rear of the forward bulkhead at the front of the v cabin (which you have to remove to access the unit)

I have now got the motor working again (it was the carbon brushes that had jammed in their slots, so eventually they wore to the point where no contact was being made. they are a very tight fit, so I lightly abraded the edges (there are four brushes and they are wedge shaped like a tall piece of cheese) to reduce the size and they now move quite easily within the housing)

Anyway an inspection of the remainder of the windlass shows that there is still plenty of oil in the gear housing. About 2/3 full if the windlass is oriented in the vertical position as designed rather than horizontally as fitted to Catalina 320s!

The source of the leak (well, it’s a weep, more than a leak!)  seems to be the oil seal that protects the motor input shaft. It is marked TC 25 47 7 2, which i understand to mean a twin lipped seal, 47mm OD, 25mm ID and 7mm depth. replacements can be bought at any store selling oil seals.

What I have absolutely no idea about, however, is what i am letting myself in for if I start to disassemble the gearbox and try and replace this seal and whether it is a good idea to do the two on the windlass shaft as well, which don't appear to be weeping at all.

Theres a slight feeling of “it it isn't broken, don't try and fix it”.  The leak is small, could be mitigated with a suitable absorbent pad and its easy enough to top up the oil from time to time, through the access hatch in the anchor locker.

On the other hand, I am thinking that this is the first (and probably last) time the unit will be out the boat since new, it would make sense to give it a thorough overhaul!

I’d be interested to hear of anyone else has already done this

Thanks

Graeme
Jaskar, 1996, #366, England