[C320-list] Ignition Key Switch / Glow Pug Failure

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Sat Nov 19 14:44:18 PST 2016

Hi Don,

I suspect with # 53 you have the Perkins.  I have #246 with the Westerbeke
but I would not be surprised if the glow put wiring is the similar in both.

It may or may not be the switch. With the Westerbeke there is what
Westerbeke calls a ³preheat selenoid².  When you close the switch in the
instrument pod you are just energizing this solenoid which then closes and
provides current to the glow plugs.  It could be that this solenoid is
bad, that is assuming the Perkins is wired the same. If you can locate the
solenoid on the engine you may be able to troubleshoot which component is
bad before replacing the switch in the instrument pod.

Good luck.

Larry
WindSwept C320 #246