[C320-list] Dodger windows

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Oct 6 15:27:49 PDT 2016

Scott,

I'll offer these as opinions based on my current experience, but other
fabricators with more experience may be able to point to different success
cases that contradict these.

BTW, I'm amending my notes below on 80gauge, as just I spoke with a
fabricator who was not happy with it in the field.  I also made a typo: *40
gauge* is still the best thickness for dodgers, but you can use 60 if really
wanted thick clear but semi flexible windows. It's expensive however.

My recommendation is O'Sea 40gauge for window material.  It's very scratch
resistant compared with some other flexible window materials (Recent
Strataglass 40gauge is also coated and comparably scratch resistant, just
not sunscreen/bug spray resistant.  Not that anyone on a sailboat would use
either of those.).  40 gauge will roll nicely and is easy to handle.

So, I think flexible solar panels can be troublesome mounted directly on the
Sunbrella if not done well, but it depends on the brand and how they are
attached.  It may not be a good idea to mount them so that they draping over
any of the support bows. Some panels mounted this way have resulted in fires
because of the flexing point over the bow.  Mounting them between the bows
might have your Bimini sagging more than you might like after a year or so.
If your bimini is attached correctly, the canvas should be really tight,
nearly drum tight. Loose Sunbrella that flaps in the wind will wear out so
much faster than a tight installation. Sunbrella stretches, solar panels
don't so there can be some tension between these two and that results in
ripples and pull lines.  Even if you use good marine Velcro, you'll only get
a few years out of it so be prepared to replace that every so often. Velcro
just doesn't hold up in this environment. #5 YKK Zippers that are covered
might be a good choice if the fabricator is careful to pre-tension the
fabric when doing the layout.

I'll dig through my stuff from vendors and see if anything jumps out that
might be worth a look or prompt some other ideas.

My suggestion is to see examples from as many different fabricators as you
can.  You'll get a good sense who has good ideas for doing that.  Look
carefully at the stitching as well, it should be straight, and there
shouldn't be overlaps where they ran out of thread and restarted. Glass
should be sewn between layers of fabric and you shouldn't see the raw
plastic edges on the inside. We can talk offline if you really want to know
what to look for.

-Jeff