[C320-list] Butyl Rubber and chain plates

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 13:35:39 PDT 2016

I re-bedded all my chainplates over a year ago because of a leak in one of the aft lowers. My experience was a little different and I wound up using butyl for the whole process.

I completely removed the chainplates one at a time using a halyard for reassurance for each one (probably unnecessary doing one at a time). When I took off the deck plate of the one that was leaking I found that the original caulking had come away from both the chain plate and deck opening and a small amount of "standing" water had accumulate in the openings. When I removed the chain plate it just slid out of the surrounding caulk that in places had become greenish (mold?). The chain plate had a fair amount of surface rust on it that was easily removed. My deck was solid glass around the opening in the deck so there was no core damage.

Since the caulk had pulled away from the deck and plate anyway, I decided to fill the entire cavity with butyl. The problem with either caulk or butyl is trying to fill the hole in the deck which is straight up and down while the chainplate is very much angled through that hole ( the upper portion of the chain plate almost hits the inboard part of the deck opening. I used heat to soften the butyl, stuffed the hole full of it, warmed the chain plate and pushed it through from the salon side. It seemed to fill the cavity pretty well. I then used butyl in the conventional way on the deck plate, bottom welded on plate, and nuts and bolts.  (I had to get longer bolts since mine were cut off flush from the factory and the butyl added a fair amount of height to the setup initially).
I did them all this way and found water in the deck cavity, shrunken brown green caulk, and some surface rust on them all. So I used lots of butyl. No leaks so far but then I had water in all the ones that were not leaking at the start.

If I have to do it again I think that I'd take Warren's approach and remove all the caulk, fill the opening with caulk using a temporary "plate" in the salon to keep it in the hole and then push the chain plate through the caulk, then use the butyl just on the nuts and bolts, and upper and lower plates. Just seems easier it might be easier that way.

Not sure why Catalina designed the chain plates the way they did but as designed, they really make a "bucket" in the deck that is bound to fill with water even before it leaks into the salon. I would have put the welded part of the chain plate on the deck with the free piece in the salon-but there is probably and engineering reason for the way it was done at the factory.

Jim BrownDesafinado 973