[C320-list] Fuel

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 04:50:13 PDT 2016

I’m not sure if this will help but we had a problem with the engine cutting out intermittently on our last C320 with a Westerbeke engine. It also tended to happen only at ‘less than full’ fuel levels and this led me down a blind alley as I assumed it was dirt in the bottom of the tank being picked up when the fuel sloshed around ina  half empty tank.
In the end we traced it to an intermittent connection on the fuel lift pump. (the connectiuon was internal to the pump not the external one).  I suspect that when the tak was full there was enough static head of pressure to supply the injection pump so that the engine would continue to run OK for a second or two until the loose connection made itself again, but when the tank was more empty this didnt happen -  just a guess.
One of the odd symptoms was that having failed, if you tried restarting the engine two or three minutes later, it satrted fine.

This may be completely irrelvant to your own issue, but maybe just worth checking that the lift pump is working OK.

By the way I ddsocovered in the process that there is a third fuel filter as part of the lift pump. As far as I know this ios never mentioned in the manual and never replaced on any scheduld maintenance program. Worth a check of that maybe?

Graeme
#366 Jaskar, 1996
On 3 Sep 2016, at 12:33, Dprudden <dprudden at comcast.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions to check.
>
> The reason I keep thinking the air comes free m sloshing is that both times this has happened is when I had half a tank of fuel, and those were the ONLY times I have been that low on fuel. I almost always keep the tank full.
>
> David Prudden
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 3, 2016, at 6:23 AM, Warren Updike <wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just a thought... if a loose connection before the fuel pump, perhaps it is tight enough that it doesn't leak, but there is negative pressure when running that is sufficient to pull air in.
>>
>> Warren and Pattie Updike
>> 1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
>> Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!