[C320-list] Slow Starting Perkins M30

Don Johnson donjohn64 at att.net
Wed Sep 14 07:30:26 PDT 2016

This one is probably for the Perkins M30 guys out there.  I have changed the fuel filters several times over the last 5 plus years with no problems with starting or running the motor after installation of new filters, or at any other time.  I heard about a number of other boats starting hard, quitting after running for a while, the need to bleed air from the lines, etc, but I had not had that experience.

Then the other day, about 1-2 months after changing filters the last time, and the engine running with no problems, it was very hard to get the motor started.  I had to crank it for quite a while, after which it finally sputtered to life, along with a lot of smoke (also not typical).  After it started & ran for a while, it started immediately when coming back to the marina, etc. – so I thought the issue was behind me.  But, the next time I started it (a week or so later), the same thing occurred. So, I anticipate that it will act the same way the next time I start it.

I’m wondering if any of you Perkins (or others if this sounds generic) owners have any ideas or helpful hints.  I will be thankful for anything you think may be helpful to solve this!

Regards,

Don Johnson

#53, Alamitos Bay

Long Beach, Ca