[C320-list] ST4000+ interfacing with NMEA2000 instruments

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 04:37:45 PDT 2016

Doug

Not sure this will be a huge help, but I have an Actisense NGW-1 which happily converts output from my Standard Horizon plotter (NMEA0183) so it can be read by my new Raymarine STng autopilot. As you know, STng is directly compatible with NMEA2000 so all that is is needed is the NGW-1 version with an STng cable rather than an NMEA2000 cable.

(My previous 320 had a refit with a Raymarine e7 MFD. Our wind instrument was an ST50, so we needed a Raymarine adapter to convert the old ST to STNg so the mfd could read the wind data.)

Actisense also make an NMEA0183 multiplexer but I found that a clever mate of mine was abale to make the same device using an Arduino microprocessor so i didnt need one. That combined GPS, wind and depth into a single 0183 stream.

My Standard horizon cgartplotter has 3 pairs of NMEA0183 input/outputs. So I was able to take the combined NMEA0183 GPS/depth/Wind data, DSC VHF radio data  and NMEA0183 AIS data into the plotter and it multiplexes it all and outputs it as a single NMEA0183 stream that was fed through the NGW-1 to convert it to STng (NMEA2000) to be used by the pilot.

I guess you are doing the reverse as your MFD is N2000 and your pilot is N0183, but the NGW-1 works both ways.

The point Im making (rather badly) is that with some careful thought about what channels you have available where you may be able to combine signals through the MFD and then convert to 0183, without need for a separete multiplexer.

I would recommend the NGW-1 - simplicity itself, fit and forget.

Graeme
Jaskar, #366, 1996
On 15 Sep 2016, at 12:24, Doug Treff <doug at treff.us> wrote:

> Well in absence of any input from anyone, I'll be sure to let you all
> know how it goes! Might be next season before we get there, though...
>
> --
> Doug Treff
> doug at treff.us
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016, at 09:18 PM, artstree at aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I have a 741 and have used it for two seasons. It is not interconnected
>> anything so I can't help in that arena. Besides I am just now getting to
>> know my 320  with this being my first season on her. I would like to
>> offer
>> on comment about the 741 and the touch screen. Touch screens work great
>> at
>> the dock or in calm conditions but a slight bump during heavy weather or
>> waves and you quickly change the screen. It has not been a big issue but
>> one I have noticed from time to time.
>>
>> Art Harden
>> Tortuga -Catalina 320
>> 937-477-5544

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!