[C320-list] Clew Tension with Reef in Mainsail

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Sep 19 15:35:32 PDT 2016

I already have a loose footed main and find that the loop invariably slides too far forward even if I tie a snug loop and slide it all the way aft before reneging. To flatten the sail the angle of pull needs to be from aft on both sides of the sail. But tightening the reef line tends to pull it forward towards the cringle until it is no longer aft.  I invariably end up with the loop slightly forward of the cringle and no good angle to pull the cringle aft to flatten the lower part of the main.

So for me a loose footed main does not solve the problem. If anything it makes the problem worse.