[C320-list] Good News / Bad News

Daryl Hunt drhunt at rochester.rr.com
Thu Sep 22 09:05:33 PDT 2016

Sorry Ted, I'm not taking the bait.  Too much like advertising my
services for this forum.  Despite the fact that I've taken on a second
(fun) career as a yacht broker following 35 years as an engineer, my
comment was made as a life-long sailor with experience buying and
selling boats for my personal use.

That said, I'm also sorry you had such a negative experience.  I would
recommend speaking to multiple brokers, checking reputation of both the
individual and his/her firm. Pick a broker like you would a mechanic.
In the three years I've been doing this, I've run into a couple brokers
I wouldn't do business with again, so I'm not saying there's not bad
eggs out there...

A good broker will find the right boat for you within your budget while
protecting your interests and $$.  On the selling side he/she will help
you price, advertise and show your boat in the best light, weed out the
keel-kickers, and provide guidance through the negotiation phase.   For
both buying and selling, if the broker doesn't spend 75-80% of the
initial conversations asking questions and listening, then find another
broker.

best regards,
Daryl
C320 #660 "Believe"
Rochester, NY - Lake Ontario

On 9/22/2016 11:10 AM, tharrison at innovations-plus.com wrote:
> You kinda did start the debate! So I have to ask why you think your services are worth, let's say $8,000 dollars.
>
> I used a broker to purchase my boat. I would have to say overpriced and lax in approach. I had to threaten to get my lawyer involvement. In addition the hold back was not used and should have been for discovers after deliver and acceptance of boat (let's say 10 days). Not even explain. So having gone the distance with a broker, because I was completely new and I was my first boat, I am not sure I would take that approach a second time.
>
> The money could be better spend on four surveys. Normal for insurance, mechanical, rigging and general more in-depth including a 3 year replacement plan.
>
> My boat was purchased in USA and a USA surveyor was used, and it was a well done survey.
>
> So I am asking what value added are you going to provide for $8,000 or 100 hours? Please do not use Bull S... to baffle brains... been there done that, never going back again.... So here is your chance, go for it.......
>

> Ted Harrison
> Hull 424, 1997
> Whitby Ontario, Canada
>
> Ps ....love my Catalina 320