[C320-list] masthead rigging question for owners of older c320s

Dave Ouimette drouimette at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 15:55:59 PDT 2016

I have a 1995 C320 and I've scheduled a rigger to check/repair both standing and running rigging; that will occur Sept 26, I hope. A question has come up regarding where the spinnaker halyard should exit the masthead fitting. On my boat it exits the fitting on the port side above the location of the jib halyard and over a small roller; the roller is worn from the extra friction of the line. Unlike the jib halyard, the spinnaker halyard does not run downward through the fairlead below the sheave. So the question is should, or can, the spinnaker halyard be moved down off the small roller to the sheave next to the jib halyard? This would place the strain squarely on the sheave which, I think, would be better than running it over the small roller. But I'm not sure if this would create other problems such as fouling of the line when using the spinnaker (which is rare event).

Any suggestions on how best to rig the spinnaker line at the masthead would be appreciated.

Dave