[C320-list] Good News / Bad News Ammended to - Use a Broker?

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Fri Sep 23 18:55:14 PDT 2016

   Since I inadvertently started this string, guess I better weigh-in.  I
   used a "buyer's" broker for the purchase of the C387 (also to be named
   Sea Shadow, our 3rd with this name).  But there is a back-story...  I
   thought I was on Yacht World's website when I sent in a query about the
   boat we eventually purchased. It was only when I received a response
   that I realized I was dealing with a broker I was not entirely pleased
   with when I bought the C320 15+ years ago.  Instead of Yacht World's
   website, I was actually on the broker's website.  At this point, I
   could have either walked away or continued with this broker.  I decided
   to continue, expecting at any moment to have either to do battle with
   the guy or at the minimum, to be disappointed.  However, probably since
   he was not the listing broker, which meant he was representing me vs.
   the Seller, the experience exceeded all expectations.  In short, he did
   a phenomenal job in representing my best interests, at times possibly
   contrary to his own.  Example: There were some significant showstopper
   issues discovered at survey.  The final 3 involved the shifter,
   transmission, and an overheating engine.  The broker contracted with a
   mechanic he both trusted and has worked with in the past.  Both of them
   spent the entire day on the boat - a good 10 hours - getting these 3
   issues resolved.  The broker was there basically as the "gopher" for
   the mechanic.  And everything got fixed to our satisfaction.  I am not
   sure spending 10 hours on a boat (plus about 3 hours round trip driving
   time) is something these guys do routinely, but he did.  At the end of
   the day, I was absolutely happy with this broker.
   But... I also learned from talking with others who have sold without a
   broker that it isn't rocket science.  So we are going to try and sell
   the C320 without a broker and "split" the 10% commission either with
   the person who refers an eventual buyer and/or the Buyer.  We plan to
   take this track only for a few weeks and if unsuccessful, will
   eventually turn it over to a broker.  A big issue for us though is that
   we will be out of the country from 11/3/2016-12/12/2016 (cruising down
   the Baja Peninsula and into the Sea of Cortez on a Nordhavn-50) so
   cannot really focus on selling the C320 through a broker until
   mid-December as we will be pretty much off the grid and could not
   respond quickly to a broker.  We then plan to leave from Puerto
   Vallarta on the same Nordhavn in mid-March with next stop the
   Marquesas.  Long way of saying, life will be much easier if we can sell
   Sea Shadow C320 between now and 11/3/2016!
   Allan S. Field
   Sea Shadow - #808
   Columbia, MD