[C320-list] Replacing exhaust hose

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Thu Apr 6 08:51:13 PDT 2017

Rod,
Short answer to your question is the stiffness of the exhaust hose or its
replacement was not an issue for me.

I replaced the exhaust hose after 18 years because the hose was beginning to
show typical rubber aging cracks. I found my local NAPA store near the
marina had a large coil of the appropriately  constructed marine exhaust
hose. The cost per foot was far less expensive than from West Marine. The
stiffness of the OEM hose was not a problem removing nor installing a new
stiff hose. Just be sure to properly measure the old hose and consider
taking a slice of it with you to be sure you get the proper replacement
hose. The proper length of the hose is crucial so to as to have that
anti-siphon loop, and a slightly longer, 10-12 inches of hose, did not
present a problem and made it easy to install on the exhaust thru-hull.

When I was looking for the best fit replacement marine exhaust hose I was
most concerned about securing a  robust hose with the embedded wire (which
intentionally makes it stiff and less prone to leaks) surrounded by
multi-ply robust inner and outer rubber plies, same as my OEM exhaust hose.
The reason the hose is stiffened with wire is  to protect the hose from
being easily separated/cut/parted so as to avoid punctures or wear due to
chaffing or other damage that could result in exhaust gas leaks, not to
mention an exhaust cooling water leak.

I first observed the exhaust hose pulse in the aft port locker as the engine
was running back when the dealer provided an orientation  to our new 320. I
determined that the hose was chaffing up against the fridge compressor shelf
as well as rubbing against the bottom of the hull. To resolve those issues I
zip tied a portion of an old vinyl  shower  mat at the chaff points that
included at the low point of the hose in contact the hull and also zip tied
a portion of a mat around that portion of the hose that was in contact with
the compressor shelf in the aft port locker. Those mat sections eliminated
rubber from being scuffed off the hose as the hose pulsed due to the exit
thrust of exhaust water.

Hope you find this info helpful.
Rick
My-Ria 95' 320 hull #277