[C320-list] Mainsail Halyard Replacement

Mark Cole boatnboot at q.com
Tue Apr 18 10:08:52 PDT 2017

Joe;

I just replaced my main halyard with 3/8” Samson XLS (extra low stretch) for $0.62/ft at a local (Seattle) chandlery.  I had previously replaced the jib halyard and ordered the 115’ recommended in the manual and that was about 10’ too much, so I went with 105’ this time and that turned out to be about right- I have about 6’ left in the cockpit when the main shackle is stored at the chainplates.  I taped and tied the new halyard to the old and pulled it through with no hang-up at all.  The only issue I’m now having is that the new halyard is nice and clean and a little slipperier than the old halyard and the rope clutch doesn’t grip it as tightly.  I’m going to have to adjust the rope clutch and I think that problem will go away…

Mark Cole
Fiddler’s Green, #8