[C320-list] Fuel System Filters

jim brown jbrown5093 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 11:12:19 PDT 2017

I think engine hours is only one factor that has to be taken into account when deciding when to change fuel filters. Others are geography-in the ice cold north not much grows in diesel for at least half the year, whether or not you use a bioside  the quality of the fuel you put in the tank, and the amount of time the fuel sits undisturbed at the dock. Also the frequency of changing the secondary filter does depend on the filter size of the primary filter. I believe Yanmar at least suggests using a 15 micro primary but some usesvdown to av2 micron as the primary.  If your boat sits all summer in Florida using the engine only few hours may lead to a plugged filter pretty quickly the first time you're out in a seaway when the fuel gets a good mix in the tank. Filters are pretty cheap insurance

Jim Brown #973