[C320-list] Retrieve Reefing Line from Boom

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Fri Apr 21 05:28:55 PDT 2017

On hull number 6 there is a chance that the more complicated reefing
system is still in place -- the one with an internal shuttle block. In
that case pulling "it" through may only serve to cause the same problem
with the other reef line, because the "single line" system is really two
lines in this case. If the reefing system uses an internal shuttle block
you will need to retrieve that somehow. You can tell if you have this
system by whether the other end of the line that pulled through is
terminated by a stopper knot at the very end of the boom. In this case,
retrieving the line is easy -- just reach in and grab the other end of
it and pull, but the internal shuttle block that it is supposed to pass
through may be harder to snag and pull out to the end of the boom. In
the worst case the internal shuttle block will have been pulled all the
way to the forward (mast) end of the boom. In that case you may have to
disassemble the forward end to retrieve it.

This is why I ALWAYS tie a stopper knot in the reef line and outhaul
line as soon as they are untied from the sail.