[C320-list] Water

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Sun Apr 23 07:14:02 PDT 2017

For Hull #3, the anti-siphon loop in the raw water line to the heat
exchanger may be in the forward half of the engine compartment, not in the
lazarette.  That's where it is on the Perkins in my #232.  If the heat
exchanger is constricted, and the anti-siphon valve is stuck open, it could
pump sea water whenever the engine is running, and a leak there would put
water under the engine.  You should be able to check it by watching the
valve with the engine running at speed, to see if it drips.  (It wouldn't
drip if the engine isn't running, and might not drip even if the engine was
running at idle.)  In any event, you should make sure the valve is free as a
regular maintenance item, to protect against siphoning.

Mark Seyler