[C320-list] Hose Connection Between Main Bilge and Packing Gland Sump

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 18:57:59 PDT 2017

I've read that water occurring in the sump under the packing gland can get into the hollow floor grid system, bypassing the hose that is intended to take that water under the engine sump to the primary bilge.  Catalina recommends that the outer edges of the inlet end of the drain hose be sealed into the fiberglass hole so that water doesn't bypass/seep around the outside of the drain.

I'm a new owner of this boat.  I was looking for the inlet end of the drain pipe/hose.  There is a hole in the fiberglass of the packing gland sump (near the front end of the driveshaft) that seems to lead under the engine sump heading toward the main bilge, but there is no hose end sticking out of the hole to be able to seal around.  However, there is a hose draining into the bilge that I assume is the connection.

I tried to run a snake wire up the hose visible in the bilge and see if it would come out the hole in the packing gland sump.  However, the snake won't go far enough (it hits something short of coming out the entrance hose/tube).

Anyone have any suggestions so I can make sure there is a solid connection tube from the packing gland sump to the main bilge?  I think I read other posts that say the tube is easily crushed.  Is that why my snake wire won't reach all the way?

Dave Hupe
1994 (Hull #32)
Holland, MI