[C320-list] Perkins Perama M30 Overheating

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 04:23:03 PDT 2017

Hi, Mark,

I have removed and reinstalled my heat exchanger as part of high temp
troubleshooting.  After 21 years (but only 350 hrs), the exchanger appeared
nearly new.  Low hours and good condition were a result of (at the time)
being on a freshwater lake with a marina just off of my sailing area.

It was pretty straightforward as I recall.  The larger dia clamps of the
rubber boots on each end seal around a flange that is cast into the engine
heat exchanger housing and the smaller dia clamps on the boots seal right
on the ends of cylindrical heat exchanger itself.  Of course before you
begin removing clamps, drain all antifreeze and close raw water thru hull.

The rubber boots were pretty stuck to their mating metal surfaces but by
using a stiff plastic putty knife (or similar), I was able to get the boots
a little loose and then using finger power, I was able to peel everything
apart.  After the boots are removed, the cylindrical heat exchanger simply
slides forward right out of the engine housing.

I got new boots for reassembly from Trans Atlantic Diesels.

Regards,

Frank Ross
"Beta Wave" #206
Naples, FL