[C320-list] Plantation teak boards

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Thu Aug 31 11:38:09 PDT 2017

"Plantation teak" is just teak that is grown on a plantation, rather than old growth.  (see http://www.wood-database.com/teak/)

Teak tends to be quite expensive.  It is also hard and somewhat oily.  This is what makes it good for marine applications.

However, there are teak substitutes, such as iroko that are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of teak.  They are difficult to tell from teak, and work very well.

If you do choose teak, use sharp blades and tools.  Also, wipe with mineral spirits or naptha before finishing.

Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II (#847)