[C320-list] Tightening don onto rubber gaskets?

Greg Flanagan greg.flanagan at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 18 08:27:25 PST 2017

On my fuel tank sending unit the SS screws melded and stripped the aluminum threads in the tank. I drilled out the tank threaded holes, inserted SS screws from below (inside the tank) and permanently attached a flange (with gasket) to the tank with SS nuts. In the 1/4” plastic-wood flange I had fixed countersunk screws as studs sticking up. This assembly never needs to come off.  I attach the sending unit with gasket to these studs. This way I have only SS connections and can remove and replace the sending unit easily. This facilitates getting into the tank for period maintenance. I hand tighten and then apply slight torque with a small ratchet—maybe 10lb.

Greg Flanagan
Hoop Dancer #1076
Sidney, BC