[C320-list] Tightening don onto rubber gaskets?

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 19 03:09:28 PST 2017

FWIW,
I replaced the sending unit when I first bought the boat and it also leaked after a while.  I forgot the golden rule when it comes to using "any" rubber gaskets.  (Assuming you don't have specs and a torque wrench, etc...) Once I traced out the leak I was kicking myself for not re-visiting the replacement.  Couple of turns on some bolts and leak was secured.  No leak since.
1.Crank on it until secure (no leaks) Do not over tighten.2. Wait and come back and re-tighten after rubber settles.  Best done in warm weather.3. Repeat number 2 until rubber settles in.  Watch it.  Normally revisit 1-2 times does the trick.
I have not tried "sealant" but may investigate in the future.
Any time I use rubber gaskets, for anything, I assume they will compress and need to be secured once or twice until they settle into shape.

Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538     C (919)-618-7185