[C320-list] roller furling

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:24:22 PST 2017

I've replaced ours as well. Schaefer was superb. They sent instructions
that were excellent. I'll pass on some tips:
Use the extra halyard as a temporary stay and use the jib halyard to
support the foil while you work on  changing out the drum.
I did the change out by myself, I recommend getting an extra pair of hands
to help align the drum when you install the replacement as the foil and
drum are heavy and alignment was finicky.
As I recall, a couple of screws had to be removed in the blind from either
the underside or back of the drum and if you drop them, they will
absolutely go overboard. This was the scariest and second most challenging
thing to me of the whole project (drum alignment was a bear doing it solo).
It took me about 1.5 hours and a good part of that was due to having
wrapped the control line improperly and having to wind it all over again.

Chris Burti
Commitment, #867
Farmville, NC