[C320-list] Autopilot

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 11:01:18 PST 2017

I installed a below deck linear drive, last winter, the  Raymarine with the EV1 sensor and I am very happy with it.
Jeff Hare (was kind enough to share a lot of his installation notes and photos which was a great help, as were installation photos and notes from Michael Mcretton, a fellow UK owner.
I had the yard fit the mechanics but did all the wiring up and commissioning myself - its very simple really!
I previously had a Rayarine wheelpilot (SPX-5) and it was unrelaible and didnt control the boat well. Biggest issue was tendencey to spontaneously disengage itself!
Regards
Graeme
#366, ‘Jaskar’, 1996, Falmouth, United Kingdom

> On 12 Jan 2017, at 17:01, Jeff Hare <catalina at thehares.com> wrote:
>
> Denny,
>
> A number of us have installed the below-deck Linear drive AP and I think
> it's a significantly better route to go in terms of reliability, convenience
> and performance.  Professional installation is an option but if you have
> some abilities it is possible to install it yourself with guidance and just
> a few common tools.
>
> I have started on an article for this that will hopefully incorporate the
> information from several other members who were kind enough to share their
> installation details.
>
> I suspect it'll be too long and too illustrated by the time I'm done to use
> in Mainsheet, but will be a good website project article.
>
> -Jeff Hare

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!