[C320-list] Certifications

Greg Flanagan greg.flanagan at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 24 08:34:33 PST 2017

I chartered for 30 years before buying my 320. I first obtained the Canadian Yachting  Association CYA Basic skipper certification and the CYA navigation certificate. Before chartering in Turkey I completed the intermediate certificate with the Power And Sail Squadron which included advanced navigation in the water. My wife also completed CYA  skipper and navigation certificates, as we were advised you needed two certified sailers on board to charter in the Mediterranean.

 With these certificates we were always just handed the keys, wherever we chartered.

I found a little formal training has always been valuable in addition to decades of experience.

Greg Flanagan
Hoop Dancer #1076
Sidney, BC